Sunday, December 9, 2012

Your Homeschooling Style



We all have discovered, eventually, that every one's homeschool learning style can differ. What works for one, may or may not work for another. Let's also not forget that, what works for Mom/Dad, unfortunately,  may or may not work for child(ren).

 
There are three learning styles:

 1) visual (seeing)
2)  auditory (hearing)
3) kinesthetic (doing). 

Learning style characteristics tend to overlap. Many will notice that their children experience characteristics from each learning style. 
(Information taken from this website, click to read more) 

There are so many different approaches to Homeschooling you can try. To name a few: Unschooling, Charlotte Mason, online programs, Roadschooling,  Traditional textbooks, Unit Studies, hiring tutors, and enlisting friends, family, community (Co-op's) to help. You can choose one ore a combination, but what matters is finding what works for your family. Sometimes it can take awhile, sometimes it doesn't, but when ever it does, it is always worth it!

Personal stories:
Recently a friend was having trouble with her child learning to write . I do not mean her ABC's either.  So, since I just finish my English Comp. 1 class, this area was fresh for me. So, I happily offered to help. Another example, my daughter is a visual learner. When she was younger, she had a hard time learning to read with traditional textbook method. However, when I switched her to an online program (Time4Learning) at the age of 8 years old, she went from barely reading to being able to complete whole books within her first year. Figuring out that I needed to change the way I was teaching,  to fit her learning style, made all the difference.

So, today I urge anyone stressing to just rethink what else you could do, change , etc to make Homeschooling work better for you!


Until next time...







 

No comments: