Friday, May 1, 2015

The Solar System


So, we just did a Space themed unit study in honor of Space Day. We started our lesson by reading through some fun facts from a few websites: apples4theteacher.com and nasa.gov 
Handle on the Sun (click to enlarge) 

I am not sure if it had been just too many years since I had been in school myself or if I just wasn’t taught certain facts about our solar system when I was in school, but I was surprised by some of the  information we went over. For example, “Sol” means sun. So, The Solar System could also be called The Sun System and the sun is actually a star. 


Another interesting fact is that Venus spins backwards and they have also discovered signs of ancient floods on Mars. Then there is Jupiter, this planet's swirling cloud stripes are punctuated by massive storms such as the Great Red Spot, which has raged for hundreds of years. Just fascinating! A true-color image of Jupiter taken by the Cassini spacecraft. The Galilean moon Europa casts a shadow on the planet's cloud tops.


The kids and I also enjoyed looking at all the amazing photographs of the sun and all of the planets. (I definitely do not remember images this amazing when I was in school!) We also watch some cool videos on YouTube and they played a few space games online. 

Afterwards, I had each of my kids draw their own solar system and label each planet. Then when it got dark enough, we went outside and got some great real life experience with our telescope ;)


This has been one of my favorites so far. It is a Great topic to learn about in your homeschooling, on space day or any day of the year!


Until Next Time…

No comments: