Sunday, October 20, 2013

This week we have a Guest Blogger!

In keeping with, my Fall/ Halloween theme this month, I have a real "Treat" for you.  
I would like to introduce,
my Very 1st Guest Blogger,                Joy!
A Homeschool Mom from,
 
 
 
 


                                     

Most parents know not to compare their children to one another as each child is an individual
with different challenges and different strengths. The same holds true with your own family's
homeschool. There is not one correct way to homeschool in my opinion. Each child most
likely has a different personality and learning style from their siblings and the parent/s that
teach that child also have things that they are good at and things that are more difficult for
them.
 
We have been homeschooling for 7+ years and I wish that I had known early on not to
compare how we do things with other families. I guess the exception would be when asking
input or advice of another family that may have gone through something similar. Both my
husband and I have had a few people over the years make comments like "I'm sure you do a
lot more with your children than we do." How would they know this? They don't. Somehow they
have gotten a preconceived notion from observing us.
 
I've also gotten the comment many times, "I could never homeschool a child with special
needs, I do not know how you do it." In reality, I think most people could do it if they thought
it was the only way their child could get an appropriate education, which was the case for
us. They usually do not see the occasional bad days we have where we are just doing our
best to deal with behaviors and doctor appointments. Honestly some days are survival mode,
LOL. We pretty much homeschool year round for this very reason. This allows a day off from
educational lessons when other special need issues arise, as they often can. It also allows for
a spontaneous trip when we all need a break, rather than when most people take a break.
(summer)
 
Yet, I have done the same thing comparing our homeschool to others! I will see a family with
many children (I just have two) and I will think silently, that the mom must possess extra super
powers that I do not have. I admit I have been a bit jealous of families that do not have to deal
with special needs challenges even though I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm also sometimes
envious of some of my friends that are talented at teaching co-op classes, scout groups, and
group activities in their home, as that is not where my talent is.
 
All of this is what makes homeschooling so ideal! We learn our children's learning styles and
our own teaching styles. We are able to let our children actively pursue their own interests and
talents without being burdened by typical public school hours. After awhile we figure out what
works best for our own individual families and adapt when changes need to be made. When we
are involved in group activities with friends we can combine our talents with other families and
share our talents with them.
 
 
 Has there ever been a time you have compared your homeschool to another family and
not felt up to par?
 
 
 
 
* Until Next time... 
Don't forget to check out my Guest Post,  "Halloween Fun", on Joy's Blog, too! *
 
 

No comments: